No matter how amazing their current kitchen might be, at one time or another almost every homeowner dreams of being able to upgrade their kitchen, adopting the newest styles and technologies to make the ultimate kitchen. Remodels are not only large financial investments but can take months to complete- leaving you without a kitchen in the process! Fortunately, there are smaller changes that can be made to help transform your kitchen into something new and exciting, without the need for a major time or financial investment.
- Cabinets – If you watch any home improvement show, cabinets always seem to be the first to go. The reality, though, is that cabinets do not need to be replaced to change the look of your kitchen! Consider the transformative powers of a fresh coat of paint, a cost-effective switch that can often be completed in a single weekend. Chic colors can help make a kitchen pop with a bit of personality and give you a change of scenery. If you’re looking for a more rustic kitchen appearance, you could consider stripping the paint for a bare wood look, using a stain or varnish to help protect them from use. For those looking for a change more than skin deep, refacing is another option. This leaves the cabinet bases in place, and only changes the exterior panels of the cabinet doors and drawers. This would allow for you to switch from solid wood panels to include small glass windows, or even industrial-inspired metals. While cabinets themselves are expensive and difficult to replace, their appearance can be changed relatively easily.
- Backsplash and Countertops – Trends come and go, with different materials and color designs falling in and out of favor. While dark granite countertops and backsplashes may have been popular a few years ago, it can leave you yearning for a little more light in your kitchen. Although countertops can be expensive, they certainly take a lot less time to change out than an entire remodel of your kitchen. Because they account for much of the space you see, a lighter tone or material can make a big difference in the ambiance and atmosphere of your kitchen. The same applies to backsplashes, with bright subway tiles working great to help lighten a space, while more subtle blues and greys can help relax a space.
- Lighting – On the most basic level, switching your light bulbs can help make a difference in the color and amount of light in your kitchen. While exchanging light fixtures is a more involved process, often best left to an electrician, adding lamps or even accent lighting beneath cabinets can help create the style you’re looking for. Browsing any home improvement store will show you a wide variety of styles that can help you make your kitchen exactly what you want it to be!
- Hardware – If you have a screwdriver handy, drawer-pulls and knobs can be exchanged in only a few minutes. Whether you want a clean and contemporary look, or something rustic and vintage, kitchen hardware is available in countless styles that will help put a creative accent in your kitchen. A quick coat of paint or switching to brushed brass or stainless could add a nice accent to your cabinetry.
- Appliances – You might not think about it, but changing your appliances is going to be less of a financial investment than a full kitchen remodel! Black and white appliances can make any kitchen feel dated. Stainless steel has become more competitively priced and offers an attractive look that fits many modern kitchens. If you have an electric stovetop, switching to flush burners can also help the space feel more modern. In some cases, vintage-styled appliances can also be used to create a colorful and unique atmosphere in a kitchen with lots of personality.
Kitchen renovations can require a financial commitment of tens of thousands of dollars and months of your time. Instead, investing in smaller changes that could create the same contemporary or classic look you seek for your kitchen. With a little creativity, you make your kitchen into a space you love.