Homes fill different needs for different families. Over the past few years, many of those needs have changed. As we spent more time around our homes, we gained a better understanding of what worked and what didn’t. While that lead many to seeking out new homes in new locations, others are staying put and looking to streamline what they already have. From converting a guest bedroom to a home office, adding an outdoor living area, or just upgrading the living room into the ultimate family getaway, there have been many popular trends for home improvement to help meet the new standards we have for our homes.
One of the most popular areas for improvement has been the bedroom. No longer are bedrooms just where you sleep- for many, it has become a personal sanctuary for relaxing and refreshing after a long day. With the possibility of family working or studying from home, the need for a private space that’s calm and quiet has become very apparent. While your bedroom may never be as relaxing as a spa getaway on a tropical beach, it can still be a great place to escape to and embrace a calmer attitude, free of the stress of the world around us. If your bedroom is in need of a spring makeover, here are a few trends you may want to consider!
New Trends for Bedrooms
- Canopy Beds – Canopy beds date back centuries, but have seen a recent resurgence in popularity. Canopies can turn your bed into a stylish focal point, while also adding some style and pizazz to the space. Add some curtains and you can shut out the world, leaving you alone to enjoy some peace and quiet.
- Headboards – Not a fan of canopies? Headboards are a simple way to add new colors or patterns without making a larger commitment or taking up additional space in your bedroom.
- Comfortable Furniture – If your living room is a little too chaotic these days, try introducing some of that same cozy comfort into your bedroom. Set up a comfy chair or bench where you can sink in with a blanket and your favorite book. If you’ve been working from home, it’s important to keep your work flow separate from your relaxation spaces, and setting up a special nook in your bedroom can be a great spot for you to unwind between work and relaxation.
- Paint for Relaxation – A fresh coat of paint has always been a popular way to change the look and feel of a room. Whether you’re just looking to change things up or want to change the whole look and tone of the room, consider your favorite shade of green: proven to be a relaxing color that can help enhance the calming environment.
- Lighting–Under-bed lighting and smart bulbs that dim can help set the mood and transition the bedroom as a space to use during the day or at night. Natural lighting is another great tool to keep your room well-lit and make you feel energized at all times! At the same time, blackout curtains can be a good way to help you catch a few extra hours of sleep over the weekend, if you’re light sensitive.
- Change up the Details - Freshen the look of the room by exchanging bedding, area rugs, and cabinet hardware with modern styles and natural materials.
- Adding Sound or Scents – a trend that has gained in popularity over the past few years is adding elements such as white noise and aromatherapy products to enhance the relaxation ambiance. Falling asleep to the sound of the ocean waves is possible with a sound machine while adding lavender to an essential oil diffuser will set the stage for relaxation.
Simple changes can encourage you to take a break from distractions, escape the stresses of working or learning from home, and rest in your beautiful bedroom. Recent trends have helped many turn their bedrooms into a great spot to unwind and relax. Leave your stress at the door and embrace a brighter today with a bedroom makeover!