For many, autumn is their favorite season. No doubt, the changing fall colors transform our Pittsburgh hills into a glorious scene that inspires us to bring that aesthetic into our homes. Autumn is a cozy middle ground between the heat of summer and the chill of winter. If you’re ready to embrace this season and want to capture the look and vibe into your home, here are a few ideas to help create a space that feels welcoming, comfortable, and warm all season long!
- Colors - Be it the red and gold leaves, the orange of pumpkins, or a cozy red flannel shirt – the colors of the season surely capture attention. Incorporate colors such as these into your home décor with practical pieces like blankets and rugs which not only bring a vibrancy to a room, but they can also keep you cozy when it gets cool outside. Throw pillows adorned in fall colors can change the ambiance of a room.
- Don’t Forget the Bedrooms – Consider exchanging your bedding to warmer, heavier fabrics like flannel or denim. Add a fall themed scented candle to bring in the scents of the season.
- Update Window Coverings - Apply the same changes to your curtains. Put away the airy linens and florals until spring, and introduce bold colors like burgundy or navy, or perhaps choose a neutral in beige or gray in a heavier fabric to help keep the cool weather out and the heat in.
- Creating a Focal Point - A fireplace and mantel are a natural place to create a focal point. A lovely hearth encourages as you entertain guests or relax by yourself with a book or a movie. Don’t have a fireplace? Consider a faux fireplace! Here are 15 inspiring DIY faux fireplace
- The Scents of the Season - Candles are a popular way to bring fabulous fall aromas to your home. Here the Best Fall Candles of 2023 according to Southern Living.
- Harvest Time - Autumn is the season of the harvest, so take advantage of natural elements that help reflect on the season. Both organic and manufactured elements can be used, from leaves and branches to potted plants such as mums, pinecones and the plethora of pumpkins and gourds that are available at our local farm stands.
- Light the Way - As the days get shorter, changing out your lights for something with a softer, more natural light with help with the transition to fewer daylight hours. Consider bringing in some new lamps, or small accent lighting, especially those finished in fall colors like brass or gold, to help further enhance the warm, cozy glow. Think outside the box by utilizing a vintage lantern or string lights with these fall lighting ideas.
- Get Outside & Entertain - The fall fun shouldn’t stop with the inside of your home- apply the same ideas outside and enjoy an evening watching the sunset or stargazing. Comfy chairs and a fire pit will make your backyard a great place to spend time with friends. Looking for some fire pit ideas? These are sure to inspire!
If you’re ready to dive into a world of comfy sweaters, pumpkin spice, and apple cider… there’s good news, fall is here! As days get shorter and temperatures get cooler, it’s time to give our homes a seasonal makeover. Turn your home into the ultimate cozy hideaway this fall!