As the weather continues to warm up and the days get longer, those relaxing afternoons spent lounging around the pool and fun family vacations seem right around the corner. While summer is great for chilling and unwinding from the usual routines of the year, it’s also an excellent opportunity to tackle any maintenance jobs around the house you’ve been putting off.
Summer Maintenance Tips
- Yard Work – The warm days and vast amounts of sunshine makes for the best time to get your landscape in order. While keeping the lawn cut and watered might be the first thing that comes to mind, don’t neglect other aspects of your yard. Clean away dead or dying plants, trim trees and shrubs, and clear weeds out of the garden. Consider planting perennials, shrubbery or trees that accentuate your property.
- Spruce up the exterior – If necessary, power wash your home’s exterior. From siding to patios and decks, keeping these surfaces clean is key to ensuring they last a lifetime. Check the exterior of the home and repair chipped or peeling paint. Be sure to also check exterior furniture and appliances for cosmetic reconditioning that may need to be completed.
- Check the Gutters – This is the time to make sure your gutters are free from debris and clogged leaves. Make sure that the drain outlets are in good order and not emptying into a depression in the yard which could lead to bigger problems down the road.
- Tackle air leaks– When the cold wind blows, you will be glad your drafty windows have been sealed. Re-caulk or replace windows that don’t seal well. The same applies for doors- check that they seal well to the outside elements.
- Clean the Fireplace – This is not a do-it- yourself project, but it’s a great time to have your chimney professionally cleaned so you’re ready for those cozy winter
Summer is the time to enjoy spending time with family and friends in the great outdoors. With longer days and warmer temperatures, it’s also a great time to prepare for the winter months ahead. Taking a little time away from the summer fun to check off a few maintenance tasks will help ensure your home is taken care of for many years to come.