When it comes to moving, it’s often a matter of practical consideration. As our lives evolve, there will come times that we are required to rethink certain aspects of our life, and where you choose to live is key among them. For example, a new job opportunity may mean having to move to a new town. For others, a growing family might mean it’s necessary to upsize. As you age, you may want to scale back your responsibilities and downsize. These practical purposes drive much of the demand in real estate, but don’t account for all of it.
Home isn’t just where you sleep at night: it’s the starting point for every adventure you pursue in life. Because of that, your home should be equipped to help you as you chase your own personal goals in life – whatever they may be. While there’s a good practical purpose you need to make sure you have enough bedrooms for everyone in your family, having a home office might be key for someone who dreams of writing a book or starting their own business!
Not only should your personal goals be kept in mind when looking for a home: they can often be key considerations! If you’re torn between two different properties, a home that somehow facilitates your personal goals can offer added value to you, beyond its size or condition. Achieving your short-term and long-term goals can be significantly impacted by where you choose to live.
How Can a Home Affect your Personal Goals?
There are two primary ways a particular property can impact your ability to chase your dreams: features of the home and property itself, and the home’s location. In either case, begin by making a list of your personal goals, dreams, and interests. Try to think well into the future, and consider anything that comes to mind! When you do this exercise, ask yourself if you would be more likely to reach an important goal if you took the leap and moved. You might discover that making a move will bring you closer to your dreams than you initially thought.
When it comes to the features of the home itself, it’s easy to understand how some qualities of a home may allow better personal goals.
- A spacious back yard gives room for pets and children to play. Love to swim? Then perhaps you are looking for a place with a pool! If you’re a green thumb, you can convert part of the yard into a garden.
- A house with lots of room means flexibility in the future. Garages are great for parking that classic collector car you’ve always dreamt of… or turn that space into a home gym! Or maybe the garage becomes the first location of your budding new business. If your goal is to entertain out of town family and friends, many bedrooms means plenty of space for supporting that dream.
- A chef’s kitchen is great for those who dream of baking or love hosting!
- Family rooms are great, multipurpose spaces- host game day, movie night, or family game night.
When it comes to the location of the home, there are countless ways to view the value of a specific property.
- Think about the type of area and the setting and atmosphere it brings with it- the bustling city, peaceful suburbs, or secluded rural areas all appeal to different buyers, and bring different values. If you love coffee shops, you might not want to live far away from the nearest one!
- If the home is outside of the city, there might even be room for outdoorsy types to engage in a little backyard camping.
- If you dream of furthering your education, you’ll want to be located near the requisite educational campuses. Or if your dream is to own your own business, or work remotely, then strong internet capabilities are a must.
- Being closer to friends or family could mean more opportunities to spend time with them.
- Shorter commutes to regular destinations can mean more free time to do what you really want to do!
- Don’t forget the value of community! Classes to learn skills, and groups to learn hobbies are more common in certain areas, so be sure to do a little research into how well suited an area is to your plans. If a life goal is to run a marathon, you might want to make sure that you’re moving into an area that has sidewalks or parks for practicing!
Sometimes to reach our personal goals, it requires a change in the place we call home. Start chasing the next chapter in your life from a home that makes those dreams possible!